Monday, July 19, 2010

Rest at Last....For Now at Least...

It's all over. Finally. No more arguments, no more moving from place to place, and no more questions. Nothing. Yesterday, we took Abuelo's ashes to the Cementerio Santa Maria Magdalena de Pazziz in San Juan, and there they were buried. My parents, Abuela, siblings, aunt, cousins, and I along with Abuelo's brother and his wife were able to say our last words to his remains before they were sealed. I was happy to give Abuelo the much needed and deserved rest that he's getting now. I think it's a huge weight off of my family's shoulders, too. I am also happy to know that he was back here on the land that he loved and devoted his entire life to. Moreover, he now lies in the capital city, which is rich with Puerto Rican history and stories that we shared together. The cemetary is also full of patriots of the island just like him, so I know that he is in good company. I am very comforted to know that he is finally at rest in a place that he loved where I can visit him whenever I feel the need.
After that important piece of buisness was taken care of, we made our way to the eastern tip of Puerto Rico to enjoy a lovely beach in Luquillo because our plans in Fajardo were spoiled by the rules of El Conquistador Resort. We managed to have a fantastic time despite the momentary disappointment. After some delicious coconut ice cream and quenepas, we worked up our appetite with some beach fun before the rain shut us down. Though we were upset to be forced out of the water by more water, it was time for dinner anyway.
We made our way to Aurorita, the best Mexican place known to man, where I enjoyed some crunchy chicken flautas and soft tacos to accompany them. Then, it was time to say goodbye as we headed our separate ways. Sad because our cousins were flying home today, we were comforted by the fact that we will be seeing each other again before we know it.

3 comments:

  1. You were born to be a writer, sobrino, like your Abuelo. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are going off to college to "start" your life ???
    My dearest Idris...you started your life "a while ago" and you are using it so nicely. Your abuelo was my compadre and my dear friend, so I enjoy tremendously your writings about him., as well as about your other interests.
    I will remain close to your grandmother (my comadre) to make sure she realizes that she has great friends that will always be with her.
    Un abrazo grande, and I hope to see you again soon.
    America

    my email: amefacundo@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you to you both! I'm glad that my hidden blog has finally been uncovered. That's the power of Facebook, I suppose.


    America: I am glad that Abuela has friends to help her family support her in these tough times. I amvin high hopes that we will see each other soon, as well. Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am Puerto Rican and very proud of it. I have the privilege of being bilingual, as well. I am a recent graduate and eager to go off to college and start my life. I hope to have a great experience and get the most out of it.